Husayn Service Day (Saturday, August 22, 2020) is a national day of service in honor of the legacy of Imam Husayn ibn Ali (a).
In past years, families and organizations across the country came together to donate blood, distribute water, bag groceries, and prepare meals at shelters, hospitals, mosques, and churches. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we will continue to serve in these acts of kindness safely, together, apart.
Here are some ideas for you to take part in (if you are serving with others, please make sure to observe social distancing and wear a face mask):
- Click here and make a care kit for a needy or homeless person (click here to see an example).
- Call your grandparents and cousins.
- Add encouraging messages to your sidewalks using chalk.
- FaceTime a friend from school that you don’t talk to often to say “Salaam!”
- Write a note to your parents to let them know how much you love them.
- Make your family breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Take a walk with your parents or grandparents.
- Deliver/drop off groceries to an elderly neighbor.
- Clean or cut an elderly person’s lawn.
- Draw/color pictures for people you love and then put them in the mail.
- Leave a note and a small gift for delivery drivers.
- Write a letter or make a card for a relative.
- Send a motivational text to a friend who is struggling.
- Do your chores without being asked and without complaining.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from other people, even your grandparents.
- Pick weeds from your family’s flower beds and gardens.
- Tell each of your family members one thing you love about them.
- Lead a prayer asking God for people to be healed from this virus.
- Give your parents a big hug out of the blue.
- Place large signs with kind messages in your windows for pedestrians to see.
Download and share the flyers with your friends and family
- Ahlulbayt Center of Toledo
- Shia Ithna-Asheri Islamic Jamaat of Los Angeles (SIIJLA)
Islamic Jaffaria Association
- Imam Ali Masjid
- Universal Muslim Association of America (UMAA)
- Muslims for Peace
- Stand with Dignity