Husayn Service Day
Every Muharram, The Mainstay Foundation holds the “Hussain Service Day” event on the first Saturday of the month of Muharram. The purpose of this event is for it to be a national day of service uniting Muslims across the United States under the banner of Imam Hussain (peace be upon him), to act upon his teachings through serving and giving back to our communities.
Within the past few years, families and organizations across the country came together to give back to their communities in the name of Imam Hussain (peace be upon him). This day of service began as an initiative to encourage acts of service and kindness at shelters, hospitals, mosques, and churches in our communities. People donated blood, distributed water, bagged groceries, prepared meals, amongst other acts of service for those in need.
We extend an invite to all of you and encourage all individuals, centers, and organizations across the U.S. to collaborate with us on this event.
Here are some ideas for you to take part in (if you are serving with others, please make sure to observe social distancing and wear a face mask):
- Click here and make a care kit for a needy or homeless person
- Add encouraging messages to your sidewalks using chalk.
- Write a note to your parents to let them know how much you love them.
- Make your family breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Clean or cut an elderly person’s lawn.
- Draw/color pictures for people you love and then put them in the mail.
- Leave a note and a small gift for delivery drivers.
- Write a letter or make a card for a relative.
- Give your parents a big hug out of the blue.
- Place large signs with kind messages in your windows for pedestrians to see.
Use the hashtag #HusaynServiceDay to share your acts of kindness with the entire world.